Powered By Blogger

Friday, February 11, 2011

A genius way to hide turnips!

I had this bag of turnips in the back of my fridge... What should I do with them? Put them in a soup (boring!)? Roast them with other root veggies? I was plum out of ideas. Then, I discovered Paula Dean's recipe for "Turnip Mashed Potatoes". What a smart lady! This recipe is tastes just like yummy mashed potatoes...I would have no idea there were turnips in there if I hadn't put them in myself! This is a recipe that will be a staple as long as turnips are haunting my refrigerator! :)

*Note: this recipe, in classic Paula Dean fashion, has a lot of butter etc. I am a southern girl at heart, but sometimes I just can't use whole sticks of butter at a time! :) I put half the butter called for and used 1% milk instead of cream and it was still great!


Turnip Mashed Potatoes:

-6 large red new potatoes, skin on
-2 large turnips, peeled
-1/2 cup cream, heated
-8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
-1/2 cup sour cream
-Salt and pepper]

Directions:
Slice potatoes and turnips 1/4-inch thick. Cook in boiling water for 15 minutes or until fork-tender. Drain. Whip unpeeled cooked potatoes and turnips with electric mixer, mixing until moderately smooth (don't overbeat them; a few lumps are nice). Add hot cream, butter, and sour cream. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Whip again until blended. Adjust thickness by adding more cream, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment